Trehalose is a naturally-occurring sugar with similar functionality to sucrose but with greater
Stability and less sweetness. Product developers can use it either to improve existing products or to create innovative new products. Trehalose is a non-reducing disaccharide consisting of two glucose molecules linked α,α –1,1. It has excellent process and finished product stability. Trehalose is a multi-functional sugar. Its mild sweetness (45% sucrose), low carcinogenicity, low hygroscopicity, high freezing-point depression, high glass transition temperature and protein protection properties are all of immense benefit to food technologists. Trehalose is fully caloric, has no laxative effects and after ingestion is broken down in the body to glucose. It has a moderate glycemic index with low insulin emic response.
Product Name: Trehalose
Chemical Name: (2R,3S,4S,5R,6R)-2-(Hydroxymethyl)-6-[(2R,3R,4S,5S,6R)-3,4, 5-trihydroxy-6-(hydroxymethyl)oxan-2-yl]oxyoxane-3,4,5-triol
CAS no.: 6138-23-4
- Trehalose is 45% as sweet as sucrose.
- Trehalose have a clean taste profile with no aftertaste.
- Trehalose is more soluble then sucrose at high temperature.
- Trehalose has low Hygroscopicity.
- Trehalose is stable under high heat and acid conditions.
- Trehalose Reduces blood glucose response and lowers insulin response.
Trehalose is available in different grades;
- White crystalline powder
- Beverages and Beverage Mixes
- Carbonated beverages
- Non-carbonated beverages
- Hard and Soft Candy
- Jams and Jellies
- Chewable candy and tablet
- Dairy Products
- Processed Fruits and Fruit Juices
- Processed Vegetables and Vegetable Juices
- Confections and Frostings
- Nutritional & Dietary Products
- Dry-mix products
- Frozen desserts
- Bakery products
- Meat products